After last month’s negative, and then another again this month, both J and I decided it was time to kick it into gear. I was nervous to start anything too soon, as we’ll be traveling to Alaska for vacation towards the end of this month (T-10 days!!), and then we’ll be in Key West, FL for our anniversary in May! So, with all of this going on, I was nervous to start cycling with treatments. But, J reminded me that we can handle anything that comes our way, and so I decided to give my RE a call.
I rang up the RE on CD1, last week. They are so easy to work with and really nice, and the nurse spoke to me and told me that even though my RE was out-of-town, he had written up our “next steps” in my chart already. The RE’s plan was an oral cycle with an IUI. So, the nurse scheduled me for a CD2 ultrasound the next morning, and they would have my prescription for my meds ready to go.
I got in the next morning, bright and early, and prepped for my ultrasound. I was all nervous, because really, who likes having a vaginal ultrasound done while on their period? Not me! But, the ultrasound technician was incredibly nice, and extremely funny, so we spent a few minutes joking about while she located my follicles. Luckily, my lining was shedding as it was supposed to, I didn’t have any cysts, and I had a good number of starter follicles ready to go. After the ultrasound, I got dressed again and went to speak with the nurse. She handed me my prescription for Femara (Letrozole) and answered my questions regarding a trigger shot and expected response. I am supposed to take Femara, nightly, from CD3-CD7. She also asked me to schedule a monitoring ultrasound on the CD13 to see where I am, and use OPKs from CD10 until then to make sure I haven’t ovulated early. Then, after my ultrasound on CD13 (if everything looks good), they’ll do a trigger shot in the office, and I’ll come back in the next morning for the IUI! I’ve started on 5mg of Femara, so hopefully I’ll have a good response with that. My only concern is I will ovulate late, and due to our vacation happening so soon after when the IUI is scheduled for, we’d have to convert the cycle to a timed intercourse (TI) cycle. I really don’t want to do that, as I don’t really feel like it’s much different from what we’ve already been doing for the past 25 cycles. But, I also have to trust that God has a plan and what will happen will happen, regardless of my worry.
So, that’s where we are. I’m so glad to be moving things along. If this cycle doesn’t work out, we’ll take next month off. J will be in Japan and India for work during my fertile week, so we wouldn’t be able to cycle at that point anyways. But, that just means that May (our anniversary month) is a possibility!
Wish us luck!